Aberdeen 3 Queen’s Park 2

Our under 18s lose out to Aberdeen in the 3rd round of the Scottish Youth Cup in five goal thriller at Cormack Park.

It was a sunny, cold but dry afternoon at Cormack Park for today’s Scottish Youth Cup 3rd round tie against Aberdeen.

Aberdeen reached the third round by beating Ross County 5-1 in round two and Queen’s were 3-0 winners over Livingston in the previous round.

The opening ten minutes was fairly even with both sides creating chances.

In the 13 minute Timam Scott was upended in the Aberdeen box but the referee waved play on.

Aberdeen opened the scoring in the 23rd minute. After concentrated pressure down the right the ball is played into the Queen’s box. From the loose ball Aberdeen Bavidge fired the ball into the far corner of the net from 12 yards out.

Aberdeen open the scoring

Four minutes later Timan Scott was through on goal but the Aberdeen keeper pulled off a fine save.

In the 34th minute Queen’s equalised. A cross from a corner was partially cleared by the Dons defence. Timam Scott reacted first and smashed the ball into the roof of the net from eight yards out.

Timam Scott equalises for Queen's

Two minutes later Dom Brady nearly added a second when he played a one two at the edge of the Aberdeen box. Unfortunately his shot was blocked

Dom Brady has a shot

A minute from half time Queen’s were awarded a penalty when Timam Scott was brought down in the Aberdeen box. Timam took the spot kick and converted.

Timam Scott celebrates scoring the penalty

Half-time: Aberdeen 1 Queen’s Park 2

Aberdeen put Queen’s under a lot of pressure at the start of the second half.

In the 55th minute Callan McKenna pulled off a great save to deny an equaliser

Callan McKenna saves

Four minutes later Luke Lickrish was unlucky to see his shot go narrowly past the far post.

In the 61st minute Aberdeen drew level. A pass out from the Queen ’s defence was intercepted. The Aberdeen midfielder played a diagonal ball to Bavidge who knocked the ball past Callan McKenna into the net

Aberdeen draw level

Three minutes later Aberdeen were awarded a penalty when a Queen’s player was judged to have handled the ball. Bavidge took the spot kick but smashed the ball over the bar.

In the 66th minute Aberdeen scored a third when Queen’s were caught in possession. The Dons quickly turned the ball round and Pirie slotted the ball home.

Aberdeen take the lead

The young Queen’s side fought to get back in the game. In the 71st minute Lennon Connelly had the ball in the net but was ruled offside.

Queen’s then made their first substitution of the game replacing Ross and Scott with McLean and Howe.

Queen’s continued to push for the equaliser and in the 78th minute a great combined passing movement by Lickrish, Howe and Connolly saw Lennon Connolly through on goal. Unfortunately his shot was blocked just as he was shooting.

In the 85th minute Dom Brady sped past a defender and cut the ball back to Josh Howe. Josh has a shot on goal but was denied by fine goalkeeping by the Aberdeen keeper.

A minute later Queen’s replaced Collie with trialist.

Aberdeen almost aded a fourth three minutes from time when an a fast break saw an Aberdeen attacker round Callan McKenna and fire in a shot towards the empty net. However Ben Ferguson read the danger and cleared the shot.

Although beaten by a very good Aberdeen side this was a great performance by the boys.

Full-time: Aberdeen 3 Queen’s Park 2

Queen’s Park: McKenna, Smith, Collie, Ferguson, Cassidy,  Scott (Howe 71′), McVey, Ross (McLean 71′), Brady, Connolly, Lickrish.  Subs Not used: Gibson

Aberdeen: Oluyemi, Hamilton, Mckenzie, Emslie, Lobban (c), Harvey (Pirie 58), Bavidge (Wilson 87), Murray, Stewart, Enem

Subs: Wilson, Pirie, Ochmanski, Mercer, Vitols, Boyd

Post match interview

Queen's Park's goals

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy