Airdrieonians 1 Queen’s Park 1

Queen’s Park picked up a point in a 1-1 draw at Airdrie with Jack Turner grabbing an equaliser on a horrendous night weather wise with both sides deserving praise from putting on an exciting display in terrible conditions.

Spiders Head Coach Robin Veldman made three changes to his line-up from last weekend at Falkirk with Charlie Fox, Barry Hepburn and Lucas McCormick making way for Will Tizzard, Ben McPherson and Jack Turner.

Liam McLeish was missing from the bench for the first time this season after failing to shake off the knock he picked up in a midweek Young Queen’s Park game.

After showing support for Show Racism the Red Card Queen’s kicked off with Louis Longridge in a wide right position and skipper Dom Thomas on the left.

Longridge used his experience as a winger to earn a corner with just two minutes gone however the home defence cleared Thomas’ dead ball.

It was the visiting defence’s turn to stand tall on four minutes with Alex Bannon making a clearance after Liam McStravick had got the better of Tommy Robson and sent over a dangerous looking ball.

Queen’s went close to opening the scoring on seven minutes when Jack Spong sent an inch perfect pass through to Longridge, who took a great touch and shimmied away from his marker to open up a route to goal, only for home goalkeeper Josh Rae to spread himself and block Longridge’s parting shot.

Shortly afterwards Thomas accepted a Robson path at the edge of the box and sent a curling effort about a foot wide.

Longridge and McPherson combined at speed on 13 minutes to take the ball up the right flank and a pass inside from McPherson appeared to open up a shooting chance for Jack Thomson until the Diamonds defence regrouped and crowded out the midfielder.

Another half chance popped up for the visitors three minutes later when McPherson looped over a high cross that Turner just failed to get any force on with Turner heading over seconds later as Queen’s continued to attack.

Thomson halted a dangerous Airdrie raid midway through the opening half with a strong challenge 40 yards from his own goal and that allowed Veldman’s side to play the out wide to the advancing Thomas with Rae untroubled by the skipper’s chipped shot at goal.

A foul on McPherson gave Thomas a chance to swing the ball into the Airdrie box and he did, at the second attempt, with Rae back-tracking to make a save with the noisy visiting Black and White supporters claiming unsuccessfully that the shot-stopper had miscalculated and that the ball had gone over the line.

Ten minutes from the break a fine cross-field pass from Spong allied to a great take and run by Thomas was finished by a dangerous cross that unfortunately found no takers in a red shirt.

Sixty seconds later Paton sent a low ball across Rae’s goal looking for Thomas with only a late clearance from Kanayo Megwa prevented the opener.

Airdrie raced to the other end and Calum Ferrie had to watch a Calum Gallagher effort closely as it whistled wide from 20 yards.

Unfortunately, there was little Ferrie could do in 39 minutes when McStravick picked up on Tizzard over running the ball and slipped in Gallagher who started his run from his own half and kept his composure to slide a shot wide of the advancing Queen’s goalkeeper.

Airdrie looked to capitalise on that advantage quickly and only a double save from Ferrie prevented a quick fire second goal.

Queen’s regained their composure and trooped off a goal down at the break.

Half time – Airdrie 1 Queen’s Park 0

The second half was less than a minute old when there was a second goal and it came for Queen’s Park. A poor clearance from the home defence was intercepted by Spong who found TURNER who took his time to dribble past Rae and calmly slot home into the net from eight yards.

On 52 minutes the visitors came close to a second when a deep Robson cross was nodded down to Paton 20 yards out and his low first-time shot was pushed past the post by a diving Rae.

Pressing from the visitors almost allowed Paton to sneak through on 57 minutes and as Airdrie struggled to clear Thomson sent a long-distance shot over.

Seven minutes later Ferrie came out through the wind and rain to grab a high ball at the second attempt and as Airdrie put some pressure on there were bookings for Bannon and then Paton.

Ferrie was called on 68 minutes to use his legs to block a McStravick shot at his near post with Longridge reducing the pressure with a forward pass to Thomson who could only shoot into the side-netting.

After a Queen’s corner had been cleared Bannon tried his luck from 30 yards however Rae was well-positioned to make a save.

A foul on Thomson gave Spong the chance to test the home defence 14 minutes from time however his deft pass to McPherson on the right saw Airdrie come through with flying colours as the full-back’s cross was intercepted.

Substitute Lewis Reid blocked well at the edge of his own box on 83 minutes after Airdrie had created a chance for their replacement Nikolay Todorov.

With 90 seconds left Ferrie leapt to his left to push away a strongly hit McStravick shot from 22 yards and with just 12 seconds remaining Thomson came within a few inches of winning the three points with a 25 yarder that fizzed just over.

A late scramble after persistence from Paton went past without Queen’s finding a goal however there was disappointment in injury time as Hepburn was red-carded after a clash with Mason Hancock.

Deep into injury time Ferrie ensured his side gained a point with another double stop.

Queen’s Park – Calum Ferrie, Ben McPherson (Barry Hepburn 79), Alex Bannon (Charlie Fox 87), Will Tizzard (Lewis Reid 40), Tommy Robson, Louis Longridge, Jack Spong, Jack Turner (Patrick Jarrett 87), Jack Thomson, Dom Thomas, Ruari Paton.
Unused substitutes – Sam Kane (G/k), Aaron Healy, Cameron Bruce, Alex Fairlie, Lucas McCormick.

Airdrieonians – Josh Rae, Mason Hancock, Callum Fordyce, Lewis McGregor (Josh O’Connor 78), Calum Gallagher (Nikolay Todorov 62), Adam Frizzell, Liam McStravick, Dean McMaster, Kanayo Megwa, Craig Watson, Murray Aiken (Charlie Telfer 62).
Unused substitutes – David Hutton (G/k), Rhys McCabe, Elliot Dunlop, Gabby McGill, Joe Cassidy, Alasdair Spalding.

Referee – Grant Irvine

Starting Eleven

Post Match Interviews


Pitchside Camera view of game

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy