Boroughmuir Thistle 3 Queen’s Park 1

Three goals by Boroughmuir Thistle, in a ten minute spell early in the second half, saw Queen's return to Glasgow empty handed after their day out in the capital city.

A 66th minute penalty conversion by Abbi McDonald after Abby Callaghan was brought down gave Queen’s hope of a comeback, but it was not to be for the Spiders.

Queen’s were looking to build on last Sunday’s win over Gartcairn. Boroughmuir, after their first win of the new season last weekend, against Stirling Uni, were similarly hoping to add to their win total.

The newly refurbished Meadowbank Stadium was looking splendid for the Spiders first encounter with Boroughmuir this season, although a strong wind was blowing down the pitch.

Head coach Craig Joyce made two changes to last week’s starting 11, Gill Sloey replacing Abbi McDonald and Lauren Rae replacing Taylor Davis.

After an initial opening press by Boroughmuir, Queen’s began to look lively with Abby Callaghan and Lia Tweedie testing the Boroughmuir defence.

Queen’s had to react quickly in the 10th minute when Boroughmuir broke forward with pace. A warning sign for the Spiders.

Three minutes later Queen’s had their first shot on goal. A free kick at the edge of the box was well saved by Kelli Hanan in goal for Boroughmuir.

Queen’s continued to take the game to Boroughmuir. They were now getting inside their box but any shots were blocked by defenders.

In the 31st minute Queen’s had their best chance of the half. A free kick wide right was delivered into the Boroughmuir box, then headed into the path of Lauren Rae who’s shot was blocked by the keeper, only to see the assistant’s flag raised for offside.

Lauren Rae has a shot on goal

Half-time: Boroughmuir Thistle 0 Queen’s Park 0

Three minutes into the second period Boroughmuir took the lead. Beth MacLeod forced her way into the Queen’s box and lifted the ball over Chloe Gibney to score from a tight angle.

Beth MacLead open the scoring for Boroughmuir

Queen’s made a double substitution in the 54th minute; McDonald and Boyce replacing Sloey and Fraser.

In the 55th minute Beth MacLead doubled Boroughmuir’s lead with another tight angle shot over Chloe Gibney’s head into the corner of the net.

Two minutes later Courtney McAvoy added a third when she met a cross from the right and fired a shot into the net from 14 yards out.

Courtney McAvoy adds a third for Boroughmuir

Queen’s pulled a goal back when Abby Callaghan was upended in the penalty box in the 66th minute. Abbi McDonald converted the spot kick.

Abby Callaghan is upended inside the box - penalty to the Spiders

Queen’s fought hard to get back in the game in the final quarter but good defending by Boroughmuir restricted any shots to long range efforts.

In the 80th minute Queen’s replaced Daly with Chisholm.

Full-time: Boroughmuir Thistle 3 Queen’s Park 1

Queen’s Park: Gibney, Fraser (Boyce 54′), Kane, Rae, Smith, Fitzsimmons, Cairney, Sloey (McDonald 54′), Daly (Chisholm 80′), Callaghan, Tweedie. Subs not used: Caddell, Preston, Clark, Gill.

Boroughmuir Thistle: Hanman, Gibson, Ramage, Armstrong, Duncan, MacLeod, Novou-Torrente, McCabe, Begg, McAvey, Taylor.  Subs: Davie, Smith, McLean, Chambers, Murray.

Starting 11

Abbi McDonald converts the penalty

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy