Dundee 3 Queen’s Park 0

Dundee got the better of Queen’s Park 3-0 at Dens Park thanks to second half goals from substitutes Ben Williamson and Alex Jakubiak as well as a Ryan Sweeney effort.

In what was the fourth meeting between the sides this season Queen’s Head Coach Owen Coyle selected a familiar looking line-up with no changes made to the side from the one that took the field against Inverness Caledonian Thistle a fortnight ago.

Jason Naismith was missing from the substitutes’ list following his move to Cove Rangers however there was a new name on the bench with Euan Henderson available for the first time following his temporary transfer from Hearts.

The hosts kicked off against the red-shirted Spiders and Jake Davidson showed that he was switched on from the first whistle as he took the ball off Luke McCowan just as the Dundee man looked to break into the box.

The visiting fans were in fine voice as Simon Murray led their first attack with his low cross from the right cut out with Dom Thomas crowded out as he looked to turn the loose ball into a curling effort at the home goal.

The cheers from the Spiders fans grew even louder on six minutes as Calum Ferrie saved a spot-kick from Paul McMullan. The Dark Blue winger looked to be tripped by Tommy Robson as he dashed into the penalty area and referee Anderson had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

McMullan took responsibility from 12 yards however Ferrie guessed correctly and stood his ground before clutching the ball close to his chest.

The hosts looked to make up for that miss quickly and piled pressure on the Queen’s goal with Jordan McGhee forcing Ferrie into another save before the visiting rear-guard showed resilience after a couple of corners were conceded.

Dundee won a further corner on 12 minutes with Ferrie watching a McGhee shot from the edge of the area flash just past after Queen’s had partially clear.

With 15 minutes go the ‘Black and White Hoops’ appealed for a penalty when Josh McPake was felled however the offence was deemed to be outside of the box with Dom Thomas’ low delivery from the set piece finding no takers.

Dundee raced to the other end and Sam Fisher raced to the by-line before picking out McGhee with his shot deflecting off Kilday before bouncing clear of goal.

Dundee’s McGhee was certainly keen to fire for goal at every opportunity and on 22 minutes he let fly from 20 yards with Ferrie darting to his left to save after a further deflection off Kilday.

Home captain Ryan Sweeney popped up at the back post on 25 minutes to meet a Fisher cross with Ferrie untroubled this time as the defender’s header cleared the bar.

Queen’s created danger just before the half-hour mark after a Thomas charge forward was picked up by Jack Thomson who slipped a pass to McPake with the striker’s shot just clearing Adam Legzdins goal.

Shortly afterwards Grant Savoury had a pop at goal from 20 yards after a clearance was knocked into his path with his shot also just clearing Legzdins goal.

Six minutes from the break Malachi Boateng was judged to have fouled McMullan 22 yards from the Queen’s goal with Ferrie able to scoop up McCowan’s low effort from the dead ball.

The visitors scampered into Dundee territory and earned their third corner of the afternoon but no danger threatened and the first 45 minutes ended goalless.

Queen’s kicked off however 30 seconds later they survived a huge scramble in front of their goal as Ferrie, Charlie Fox and then Ferrie again denied Kwane Thomas from six yards out.

After a bright spell from the visitors the home fans were screaming for a penalty when Thomas crashed to the ground with Fox in close attendance as they chased a McMullan cross with whistler Anderson waving play on.

On 53 minutes Savoury, who had been deployed in a deeper role for much of the first half, accepted the ball and found Thomas who cut in from the wing before cracking a shot over.

A minute later Murray, Thomson and Davidson combined to win a corner although there was disappointment when Thomas’ cross was gathered by Legzdins.

Queen’s had a strong penalty claim turned down on 59 minutes when Murray released McPake who appeared to be pushed as he bore down on goal but referee Anderson was again unmoved.

The hosts made a couple of substitutions on 63 minutes in a bid to pep up their attack and the move almost paid a quick dividend with McMullan firing wide after a run on the right.

Queen’s Park’s new number nine Henderson was introduced midway through the second half for Thomas as coach Coyle responded.

The deadlock was broken on 69 minutes Dundee and it was Dundee’s substitutes that combined for the score as Jakubiak charged his way towards Ferrie’s goal and after his shot was pushed out the goalkeeper was given no chance as Williamson crashed a shot home via the underside of the bar from 16 yards.

It was 2-0 on 74 minutes as McMullan worked his way down the right and his low cross was turned in by Jakubiak from close range.

Ferrie denied McGhee from close range following a corner however Sweeney got his name on the score-sheet with eight minutes to go when he flicked in a cross from Ryan Clampin who had out in a powerful run on the left.

Queen’s Park: Calum Ferrie, Jake Davidson, Lee Kilday, Charlie Fox, Tommy Robson, Jack Thomson, Malachi Boateng, Dom Thomas (Euan Henderson 67), Grant Savoury (Louis Longridge 85), Josh McPake (Aaron Healy 85), Simon Murray (Scott Williamson 85). Subs not used: Jacques Heraghty (G/k), Calum Biggar, Alex Bannon, Pat Jarrett Stephen Eze.

Dundee: Adam Legzdins, Cammy Kerr, Ryan Sweeney, Jordan McGhee, Kwane Thomas (Cillian Sheridan 75), Lee Ashcroft, Luke McCowan (Ben Williamson 63), Paul McMullan, Lyall Cameron (Alex Jakubiak 63), Sam Fisher (Ryan Clampin 75), Barry Maguire. Subs not used: Harry Sharp, Max Anderson.

Referee: Euan Anderson.

Starting Eleven

Post-match Interviews


This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy