Dundee United 2 Queen’s Park 1

Last minute heartache for Young Queen’s Park as Dundee United get injury time winner in SPFL Reserve Cup Group 1 game

The young Spiders made the journey north to the spectacular playing fields of Dundee United’s High Performance Centre at University of St Andrews.

The last time the two sides met, in August, Dundee United ran out 6-2 winners.

This was the opening game in Group 1 of the SPFL Reserve Cup.

Queen’s survived a strong push by United in the opening minutes of the game before responding with a long ball down the left wing for Liam McLeish to run onto. United’s Hutchison made a strong challenge to prevent the attack.

Liam McLeish is brought down by United's Hutchison

In the 10th minute Queen’s won their first corner when Kane Thomson drove down the right wing. Liam McLeish’s header narrowly missed the post from the resultant cross.

In the 19th minute Jacques Heraghty had to look smart to block a shot after an United attack down the left.

Jacques Heraghty blocks the Dundee United shot

Queen’s, although often penned in by United, were well organised and continued to maintain their game plan. They moved the ball about the back calmly and methodically before looking to transition into attack.

From one such attack, in the 25th minute, Liam McLeish was brought down at the edge of the United box. Liam Brown stepped up to take the free kick. He placed his effort low to the right of United keeper Newman who pulled off a fine save.

Two minutes later Queen’s had Heraghty to thank when a poor ball out of defence was intercepted and United’s Robson shot on goal from 16 yards out.

United's Robson has a shot on goal

Jacques Heraghty was brought into action in the 30th minute when he sensationally dived high to his left to turn a deflected shot over the bar from a free kick by United’s McMann at the edge of the box.

Sensational save by Jacques Heraghty

One minute from half time Queen’s opened the scoring. After a great run down the left, Lewis Moore was brought down at the edge of the United 18 yard line. Jason Naismith rose above the defence to head the ball home from six yards.

Jason Naismith's header crosses the line

Right on half time an excellent block by Liam McLeish and Archie Graham prevented Dundee United equalising.

Half time: Dundee United 0 Queen’s Park 1

Queen’s replaced Liam McLeish with Lucas McCormick at half time.

Queen’s started the second half very positively with a run started by Lucas McCormick who played the ball to Lewis Moore, who in turn brought in Patrick Jarrett. Patrick shot from 16 yards out but his effort was saved by the United keeper.

Patrick Jarrett has a shot on goal

In the 56th minute Dundee United were level. A break down the right resulted in Freeman firing in a cross to the Queen’s back post for Meekison, unmarked, to tap the ball home .

Meekison makes the score 1-1

In the 63rd minute Gregor Nicol and Zach Mauchin replaced Lennon Connolly and Archie Graham.

Five minutes later Gregor Nicol had a great run, beating three defenders before shooting from just outside the united box. Unfortunately his shot just skimmed the bar.

Gregor Nicol has a shot on goal

In the 74th minute Calum Biggar was replaced by Liam McQuad.

Queen’s were playing some great football in the final ten minutes of the game with Gregor Nicol, Partick Jarrett and Lucas McCormick all have chances to take the lead.

Four minutes into injury time Dundee United were awarded a free kick at the edge of the Queen’s box. United’s McMan stepped up and fired the ball into the far corner of the net to win the game for the Tannadice side.

Dundee United take the lead 4 minutes into injury time

Full time: Dundee United 2 Queen’s Park 1

Queen’s Park: Heraghty, Naismith, Brown, Moore, Biggar (McQuad 74’), Graham (Mauchin 63’), Bannon, Jarrett, Thomson, McLeish (McCormick 45’), Connolly (Nicol 63’). Subs not used: Fairlie, Russell, Lind.

Dundee United: Newman, Freeman, McMann, Duffy, Hutchinson, Comerford, Thomson, Robson, Cudjoe, Meekison, Sibbald. Subs: Adams, Bisland, MacLeod, Mwangi, Fotheringham.

Post Match interview - Owen Coyle

Jason Naismith's goal for behind the goal

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy