Dundee United 4 Queen’s Park 1

Queen’s Park got off to a fantastic start at Dundee United with a Jack Thomson goal however the hosts hit back to win 4-1.

Calum Ferrie returned to goalkeeping duty for Queen’s first league match at Tannadice since January 1960 with Alex Bannon handed his first league start of the season.

Skipper Dom Thomas won the toss and decided to turn the teams around with the Spiders shooting towards their noisy band of supporters and the fans got even louder after just 43 seconds when THOMSON scored!

Jack Spong started the move with a pass down the right flank to Ruari Paton who took his time to pick out Thomson, who was playing in a midfield role, at the edge of the box and he sent a first time shot low into the right-hand corner of Jack Walton’s net.

Ferrie was called into action shortly afterwards when he got down low to save a 12-yard Tony Watt shot with the visitors racing to the other end through Louis Longridge who earned a corner when his cross was turned behind.

With 10 minutes played Watt headed wide with Thomas taking the ball up the park in the following minute before sliding a shot past the far post.

Dundee United were soon back in their opponents’ penalty box with Tommy Robson doing well to halt Kai Fotheringham before Ferrie did well to cut out a dangerous cross.

On 17 minutes Longridge sent a ball deep into United territory with Paton appealing for a penalty as he felt he was nudged out of the way however referee Steven Kirkland was not interested.

Thomas showed his dancing feet midway through the opening half as he looked to dribble his way towards goal however when he was eventually crowded out Ben MacPherson whipped over a cross that just eluded Hepburn at the back post.

On 27 minutes Ferrie watched another Watt header drift just past with the Queen’s goalkeeper doing well a minute later when he forced the advancing Kai Fotheringham into lofting a shot over from 10 yards.
Eleven minutes from the break Spong picked up a loose pass in the home half and threaded a pass through to Paton who looked set to run in on Walton’s goal however the Tangerine shirted defence got back to cover.

United came close on 36 minutes when Kevin Holt reached a Glenn Middleton corner and sent in a header that flew inches past.

A minute later the hosts did equalise when Middleton wriggled clear on the left and sent over a low pass that was sent high into the net despite a brave effort from Ferrie.

Queen’s looked to get back in front quickly and Paton picked up on another loose home pass and darted through the middle of the box with his shot charged down when a pass to Hepburn looked on.

In injury time Thomas and Longridge showed deft footwork to reach Dundee United’s area however Longridge’s through ball to his captain was blocked and the hosts mopped up.

Half-time – Dundee United 1 Queen’s Park 1

Queen’s kicked off the second half and Bannon did well to lead an early attack and pick out Thomas who had a cross blocked.

Paton sent a header from a free-kick just over on 47 minutes however an offside flag was raised with Longridge doing well in the following minute to win a corner with the visiting players convinced they should have had a penalty from as Paton was dragged to the ground.

Ferrie did well to punch away a Robson clearance on 50 minutes with the game stopped shortly afterwards when Ben McPherson picked up a knock.

Three minutes later Fox got in the way of a Declan Glass shot at the expense of a corner which was cleared.

The hosts took the lead on 56 minutes when Glass was allowed to send a ball across the face of Ferrie’s goal where Watt flicked it on and McMann turned it in from close range.

Just after the hour mark United scored again as Middleton crossed from the left and Watt appeared at the back post to hook home.

A three-goal advantage was opened up on 67 minutes when Middleton, who had just hit the post with a corner, picked out Kai Fotheringham with a chipped cross and the striker looped a header into the net.

With 15 minutes to Spiders winger Hepburn twisted and turned his way into a shooting chance with Walton having to dive to his left to push away his curling shot.

Thomas was next to try and get his side back into things with a drive from 30 yards however Walton was able to watch the ball clear his goal.
Substitute Liam McLeish did well to create an opening for himself with seven minutes left however he was unable to get any power behind his shot.

Queen’s kept on pressing and Robson slipped a nice pass through to McLeish however Holt slid in and ended the danger with a great tackle.

Queen’s Park – Calum Ferrie, Ben McPherson (Jack Turner 64), Alex Bannon, Charlie Fox (Will Tizzard 66), Tommy Robson, Jack Spong, Jack Thomson (Liam McLeish 74), Louis Longridge, Dom Thomas, Ruari Paton, Barry Hepburn.
Unused substitutes – Callan McKenna (G/k), Aaron Healy, Cameron Bruce, Jack Turner, Ricky Waugh, Patrick Jarrett, Lucas McCormick.

Dundee United – Jack Walton, Kevin Holt, Liam Grimshaw, Craig Sibbald, Glenn Middleton, Kai Fotheringham, Declan Glass (Archie Meekison 76), Ross Docherty (Chris Mochrie 78), Declan Gallagher, Tony Watt (Owen Stirton 85), Scott McMann.
Unused substitutes – Jack Newman (G/k), Ollie Denham, Ross Graham, Kieran Freeman, Craig Moore, Keir Bertie.

Referee – Steven Kirkland.

Starting Eleven

Post match Interviews


This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy