Glasgow Women 3 Queen’s Park 1

Two second half goals by ex-Spider Louisa Boyes were enough to win the game for Glasgow Women at New Tinto Park on Sunday.

Coach Barry Rodgers made two chances from the side that beat Stirling University in the previous game. Nicole Cairney and Ellie Kane were replaced by Eleanor Smith and Sophie Payne

Queen’s certainly started the match very positively, taking the game to Glasgow Women and pinning them back in the opening period.

In the eighth minute after good play down the right wing by Eva Payne, Abbi McDonald had a shot which went narrowly past the post.

Abbi McDonald has a shot on goal

Glasgow Women responded and started to make inroads into the Queen’s half.

In the tenth minute, Queen’s had a let off when a Glasgow forward was through one on one with Rachael Caddell, but pulled her shot wide of the target.

Glasgow were now in control, putting Queen’s under a lot of pressure, especially with long crosses, mainly from the right.

In the 31st minute Glasgow Women took the lead. A corner from the right was fired into the Queen’s six yard box. Sophie McGoldrick was first to react and headed the ball into the net.

Glasgow Women open the scoring

Five minutes later, Queen’s were awarded a penalty, when the Glasgow keeper brought Rachel Connor down inside the penalty box. Abbi McDonald stepped up and hit the ball low to the keepers right to equalise.

Rachel Connor is brought down by the Glasgow Women keeper

Three minutes later, Lauren Rae had a good chance when a long ball, from a corner, was delivered to the back post. Lauren connected only to see her shot go narrowly outside the near post.

Lauren Rae has a shot on goal

Half-time: Glasgow Women 1 Queen’s Park 1

Queen’s, buoyant from near chances late in the first half, attacked Glasgow from the start. But like the first half, Glasgow Women soon took control of the game.

Glasgow were, once again, delivering crosses into the Queen’s box. Queen’s keeper, Rachael Caddell, was equal to the challenge.

Rachael Caddell clears the danger

In the 62nd minute a long ball, over the Queen’s defence was met by Sophie McGoldrick. Her shot hit the bar and was cleared by the incoming Queen’s defence.

Off the bar

The game continued, but as a midfield battle. Glasgow still had the upper hand in forcing the game, and when Queen’s pressed forward their attacks mainly fizzled out.

In the 69th minute the deadlock was broken when Louisa Boyes scored for Glasgow Women from six yards out.

Louisa Boyes makes the score 2-1 to Glasgow Women

Glasgow continued to press and added to their tally in the 83rd minute. It was Louisa Boyes, once again, to smash the ball into the net, from 6 yards out, after good build up play on the right.

3-1 to Glasgow Women

Full-time: Glasgow Women 3 Queen’s Park 1

Glasgow Women: Chloe Gibney, Hannah Cunningham, Eve Donald, Lucy Ronald, Cara Henderson, Sophie McGoldrick (Mhairi Lyle 75′), Kaitlyn Canavan (Leah Robinson 81′), Jade Wilson (Nicola Reid 46′), Charmaine McGuire, Robin Gallacher (Mollee Ramsay 68′), Louisa Boyes (Niamh Scott 87′). Subs not used: Natasha Hoole, Katie Andrews

Queen’s Park: Rachael Caddell, Nina Fitzsimmons, Frances Hopgood, Eleanor Smith (Abby Callaghan 75′), Eva Payne (Summer Christie 75′), Holly McIndoe, Hannah Fulton, Rachel Connor, Abbi McDonald, Lauren Rae, Sophie Payne (Sarah MacLeod 63′).

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy