Kilmarnock 0 Queen’s Park 6

Queen’s Under 18s travelled down the M77 to play Club Academy Scotland Elite side Kilmarnock in a friendly at Rugby Park.

Kilmarnock kicked off and immediately pressed the young Spiders. However, 2 minutes into the game it was Queen’s who took the lead. A long ball down the right wing was cut back in the edge of the six yard box for Lucas McCormick to fire a low ball past the keeper into the net. A well executed goal.

Lucas McCormick fires home the first goal

Ten minutes into the game and  Queen’s were firmly in control. They had most of the possession and were playing a very efficient pass and move game. A combination of short passes and the occasional long ball, behind the Kilmarnock full backs, was proving effective tactics.

In the eleventh minute Queen’s almost had a repeat of the first goal, when another cross from wide right was fired in, but this time the Kilmarnock keeper pulled off a fine save

The Kilmarnock keeper pulls off a fine save

18 minutes in and Queen’s had another chance. Again a ball played in from wide right was met by Liam McLeish who’s header was saved by the Killie keeper.

Liam McLeish heads for goal

In the 24th minute Queen’s overturned the ball in midfield and delivered a ball over the defence for Josh Howe to step onto and shoot only to be denied by the Kilmarnock keeper once again

Josh Howe has a shot

By the 30 minute mark Kilmarnock were battling to get back into the game. Their midfield, and their number 10 in particular, were running at the Queen’s defence at pace, although the Queen’s defence looked strong.

In the 34th minute Queen’s doubled their lead. Good inter-passing in midfield allowed the ball to be played into the Kilmarnock box where Liam McLeish fired the ball into the net. Great play by Nathan McDowell to create the goal.

Queen's players celebrate their second goal

Queen’s continued to dominate the half, Liam McLeish, in particular, most effective in breaking down the opposition’s attacks and turning then into swift counter attacks.

Half time: Kilmarnock 0 Queen’s Park 2

Kilmarnock came out for the second half with intent. They upped their pace and pressed Queen’s back.

In the 57th minute a penalty for the Spiders. Lucas McCormick cut inside, beat two defenders then was brought down inside the box.

Penalty Queen's

Queen’s captain Lewis Reid stepped up and converted the penalty.  3-0 to Queen’s.

Queen's go 3-0 up

Queen’s continued their dominance of the game even when they replaced five players in the middle of the second half.

In the 63rd minute Queen’s added a fourth goal. Chris Mahon dribbled past defenders and played the ball past the advancing Killie keeper into the net.

Chris Mahon adds a fourth goal for Queen's

In the 84th minute Queen’s increased their lead to five.  Once more some great passing in the middle of the pitch saw Lucas McCormick beat two defenders and cut the ball back from the bye line for Chris Mahon to slide the ball home from two yards out.

Chris Mahon stretches to make the score 5-0

Two minutes from time Queen’s added a sixth.  From a corner on the right the ball bobbled around the Kilmarnock box before being met by Lucas McCormick who headed the ball into the net from three yards out.

Lucas McCormick heads home Queen's sixth goal of the night

In the dying seconds of the game an excellent block by Reece Beverage stopped Kilmarnock scoring.

Full time: Kilmarnock 0 Queen’s Park 6

Queen’s Park: Russell, McDowell, Bruce, Graham, Reid, Lind, Fairlie, McLeish, McCormick, Lickrish, Howe. Subs: McQuaid, Mauchin, Scott, Mahon, Beverage.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy