Montrose 2 Queen’s Park 1

Queen’s Park’s last away league match of the season before the play offs ended in defeat at Montrose with the home side winning by two goals to one at Links Park.

The Spiders made three changes to the side that fell to defeat to Peterhead last weekend with Michael Doyle, Ronan Darcy, and Louis Longridge coming out of the team, replaced by Connor Smith, Luis Longstaff, and Bob McHugh.

Montrose made four changes to their side that also fell to defeat away to Clyde last weekend with Allan Fleming, Paul Watson, Lewis Milne, and Mark Whatley coming out of the team, replaced by Aaron Lennox, Lyall Cameron, Terry Masson, and Craig Johnston.

With just a minute on the clock, the Spiders took an early lead after a quick throw in by Robson led to Connor Smith collecting the ball in the box and he curled his shot into the bottom corner to score his 4th league goal of the season and also his 2nd goal of the season against Montrose. Terrific start by Queen’s.

Connor Smith opens the scoring for Queen's

The goal in the first minute startled the home side and it took until the 14th minute for Montrose to have their first chance of the game. A misplaced shot by Terry Masson led to the ball falling out to the left where it was picked up by Cammy Ballantyne and his cross managed to find Craig Johnston, but his header went over the bar.

The home side were dominating the ball with Queen’s looking to play more of a counter attacking match and in the 32nd minute, Montrose had their second chance of the game after the Spiders struggled to clear their lines and the ball fell to Graham Webster outside of the box, but his low shot went wide of the post.

Six minutes later and Montrose had their best chance of the half. The home side worked the ball down the right really well and Lyall Cameron managed to play a through pass to Webster who got in behind the Spiders defence and his cross found Masson, but his first time shot crashed off the crossbar.

Montrose's Masson hits the bar

The last chance of the half fell to Queen’s after Montrose failed to close the ball down and Connell found a pass to Bob McHugh and from just outside the box, he managed to turn and hit a shot, but it was saved by Aaron Lennox.

Montrose would go into half time disappointed that they had not managed to test the away side’s goal enough despite them dominating the ball and the Spiders would be delighted to be leading after their early goal.

The second half got underway and for the opening period, both sides struggled to create chances. Montrose had most of the ball with Queen’s tactic still to catch the home side on the counter attack in the hope they could secure a second goal.

The Spiders brought on attacking players such as Quitongo and Longridge with the hope that the fresh changes could provide that spark.

In the 69th minute, the Spiders had the chance to double their lead after Lyons did well to win the ball back in the middle of the park and his driving run led to him arriving at the box, but his low shot was saved by Lennox who did well to get down to the ball.

Montrose keeper Lennox saves Darren Lyon's shot
Throughout the second half, Montrose were continually pushing Queen’s back in the hope they could find themselves back in the game and in the 75th minute they did just that after a free kick from the left by Gardyne was swung in and in an attempt to clear the ball, Doyle unfortunately headed the ball into his own net.
Montrose draw level
It got even worse for the Spiders 6 minutes later as Montrose took the lead for the first time in the match. A corner from the home side managed to land at the back post where it was picked up by Sean Dillon and he smashed the ball into the roof of the net.
Dillon makes the score 2-1 to Montrose

This was the last serious action of the match and Queen’s would head back down the road with a defeat and can have few complaints.

The last league match of the regular season will be at home to Falkirk next Saturday in which the Spiders will be hoping to claim a victory just before the play offs.

Montrose: Lennox, Ballantyne, Dillon, Steeves, Webster, Cameron (Campbell 85’) Masson (Whatley 76’) Ballantyne (Milne 70’) Lyons (Watson 70’) Gardyne, Johnston (Callaghan 85’). Subs not used: Fleming, Simpson

Queen’s Park: Ferrie, Davidson, Grant, Fox, Robson Longstaff (Doyle 58’) Smith (McBride 79’) Lyon (Darcy86’) Connell (Longridge 45’) McHugh, Murray (Quitongo 58’).  Subs not used: Heraghty, Bruce, Biggar, Gillies

Referee: Chris Graham

Reporter: Thomas Durning

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy