Queen’s Park 1 Cove Rangers 1

Queen’s Park narrowly missed the chance to claim all three points after a late Leighton McIntosh header meant that the match ended a goal apiece.

Queen’s made two changes to the side that claimed the derby victory against Clyde last Saturday with Liam Brown and Peter Grant replaced by Connor Smith and the returning Lee Kilday.

League leaders Cove Rangers also made two changes to their side that drew away to Airdrie last weekend with Harry Milne and Iain Vigurs replaced by Rory McAllister and Olajuwon Adeyemo.

The first chance of the game fell to the away side in the 5th minute after Fraser Fyvie attempted an effort from distance and Ferrie did well to catch the ball despite it dipping in front of him.

A minute later and it was the Spiders who had their first chance of the game after good work down the left Connor Smith hit a powerful strike, but it narrowly went over the bar.

Connor Smith has shot from the edge of the box

In the 13th minute, Cove Rangers goalkeeper Stuart McKenzie was troubled after a throw in from the right by the Spiders landed to Longridge and his attempt from outside the box took a heavy bounce and it required McKenzie to parry it away for a corner.

The away side were forced to make their first substitution of the match in the 15th minute after Mitchel Megginson’s injury meant he had to be taken off, replaced by Robbie Leitch.

Olajuwon Adeyemo had the best chance of the 1st half in the 17th minute after a free kick from distance from Fyvie was headed on by Morgan Neill and Adeyemo managed to poke an effort towards goal, but the ball was cleared off the line by Queen’s striker Bob McHugh.

It was a first half of very few chances and both sides would have gone into half time having to think about how they could trouble both goalkeepers, who were not busy at all in the first 45.

The start of the second half was very much the same with neither side dominating the ball. It was Queen’s Park who had the first chance of the 2nd half in the 50th minute after working the ball down the right, a pass found Longridge who managed to get in behind the defence, but his shot was saved by McKenzie.

However, three minutes later Queen’s took the lead with what could be a contender for goal of the season. Bob McHugh picked the ball up outside the box and from long range, his strike flew into the top corner with the goalkeeper having no chance.

Bob McHugh scores from well outside the box

It was McHugh’s 8th goal of the season and his 3rd goal of the season against Cove Rangers.

The goal stunned the league leaders who struggled to hit back from going a goal down.

However, in the 63rd minute, the away side could have found themselves back in the game after a corner kick was met by Morgan Neill, but his header bounced off the cross bar and Queen’s managed to clear.

The Spiders went on the counter attack following the corner and McHugh managed to find himself a way into the box, his shot was saved and the ball fell to Longridge, but his attempt went wide of the post.

Both sides made substitutions as the second half ebbed and flowed, including the Spiders introducing Simon Murray into the match who made his first appearance since our game against Montrose back in December.

The away side were having trouble breaking down the Spiders resilient defence but in the 89th minute, Ferrie was forced to make a great save at his near post after an attempt by Masson.

However, it was to be heartbreak for Queen’s in the 92nd minute after a long throw in by Shay Logan was met by Leighton McIntosh and his header snuck into the bottom corner.

Cove's Leighton McIntosh heads in the equaliser in the 92nd minute

Next Saturday the Spiders welcome East Fife to Firhill in what is our penultimate home game of the regular season.

Queens Park: Ferrie, Robson, Kilday, Longridge, Lyon (Davidson 74’) McHugh, Fox, Doyle, Smith (Murray 80’), McBride (Longstaff, 67’) Connell.  Subs not used: Morrison, Quitongo, Gillies, Heraghty, Biggar, Darcy

Cove Rangers: McKenzie, Neill, Scully (Masson, 64’) Ross, Yule, Megginson (Leitch, 15’), McAllister, Adeyemo (McIntosh 64’) Fyvie, Logan, Reynolds.  Subs not used: Strachan, Gourlay, Fotheringham

Referee: Graham Grainger

Reporter: Thomas Durning

QPTV - Highlights & Post-match Interviews

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy