Queen’s Park 2 Dumbarton 1

Queen’s Park earned a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Dumbarton at their adopted Firhill home after a double from Luis Longstaff. This was the first win under caretaker manager Marijn Beuker, and he’ll be hoping this kick starts Queen’s promotion push.

Beuker made three changes to the side that drew last time out away to Falkirk. Out came Luca Connell and Grant Gillespie due to injury and new loan-signing Connor McBride dropped to the bench in favour of Bob McHugh.

It took Queen’s 6 minutes to break the deadlock after a nice touch from McHugh to skip past his marker inside the box. He fired a low left footed drive which was diverted onto the post by keeper Wright, however it fell to Luis Longstaff who was in the right position at the right time to tap in the rebound. 1-0 to the Spiders

Connor Smith congratulates Lous Longstaff on his opening goal

In a game of few chances, on the 16th minute Joshua Oyinsan received the ball from Connor Duthie with his back to goal but found enough space to turn and shift the ball past Lee Kilday before unleashing a rasping effort which sailed narrowly over the bar.

Tommy Robson’s driving runs from full back were a constant theme early in the game. Following a brilliant one two combination with Louis Longridge, Robson got to the by-line, his cut back was intercepted by a defender but fell invitingly for goal scorer Longstaff but he spurns his chance at the near post.

26 minutes in sees great hold up play from Oyinsan as he manages to bring down a long ball, he then lays it off to Eoghan Stokes who then shifts and fires in a curling shot low which Ferrie tremendously matches and turned it behind for a corner. From the resulting corner the ball bounces in the centre of the box and it strikes Jack Thomson’s outstretched arm and unfortunately for Queen’s the referee awarded a penalty. Dumbarton captain, Stuart Carswell stepped up and fired it high into the top corner giving Ferrie no chance – an unstoppable effort.

Dumbarton convert the penalty

With almost the last kick of the first half the Spiders took the lead courtesy of Longstaff. Thomson chased down a lost cause on the halfway line after a poor ball from McHugh but he shows great determination in winning the ball back and spearheading another attack. He slides and wins the ball to perfection before playing the ball back inside to McHugh. He drove forward before passing to Longstaff who sized up his defender before cutting inside onto his favoured left foot and fired a low shot past Wright into the bottom corner.

Luis Longstaff makes the score 2-1 to Queen's

2-1 to the Spiders at the interval.

10 minutes into the second half sees Oyinsan pick up a yellow card after going up for a challenge with Queen’s Park captain Michael Doyle.

Only a minute later and Queen’s have a goal chalked off as McHugh slips the ball into the net, however, after a short delay the assistant referee raises his flag and the goal is disallowed – hard to disagree it was the correct decision.

On the hour mark sees a big chance spurned by the home side. Connor Smith jinked back inside, floated a ball to the back post where the man of the hour Longstaff knocked it down to McHugh. Bob swivelled brilliantly inside the box, showing great composure, unfortunately his shot went high over the bar.

With 20 minutes to go the Spiders go to the bench to freshen things up with the arrival of new loan signing Connor McBride on to replace Louis Longridge who had a quiet game by his standards.

On the 78th minute, Bob McHugh picked up a booking and from the resulting free kick Conner Duthie nearly pulled off a terrific piece of skill as his back heeled effort just narrowly squirmed past the post.
Queen’s dip to the bench yet again and this time it’s a double situation as Connor Smith and Luis Longstaff make way for Jai Quitongo and Ronan Darcy with just over 10 minutes remaining.

There’s pinball action in Dumbarton’s box as Quitongo, Robson and McHugh all have an effort at goal and somehow don’t find the back of the net. It’s brilliant play down the left-hand side as Robson drives into the box and his effort at the near post is saved by the keeper. The rebound fell to Quitongo on the penalty spot and he has an effort at goal, but Dumbarton get bodies in the way. The ball then loops up into the air and McHugh rose highest but gets underneath the ball and it floats agonisingly onto the roof of the net.

Tommy Robson has a shot late in the second half

A hard-earned win but a deserved three points under the lights at Firhill for Queen’s Park. Longstaff will steal the headlines for his well taken double which brought Queen’s a very welcome win. Next up is an away trip to League Leaders Cove Rangers on Saturday with Queen’s looking to extend their winning run.

The official attendance at Firhill is 428 – a fantastic turnout on a bitterly cold February evening.

Queen’s Park: Ferrie, Doyle, Kilday, Fox, Robson, Thomson, Brown, Longstaff (Darcy 81’), Smith (Quitongo 81’), Longridge (McBride 70’), McHugh. Subs not used: Heraghty, Davidson, Grant, Moore, Gillies, Biggar.

Dumbarton: Wright, Pignatellio, Buchanan, Bronsky, Boyle, Dutthie, Carswell, Hutchinson, Wylde (Wilson 85’), Stokes (Orsi 76’), Oyinsan. Subs not used: Ramsbottom, Lynch, McKee, Paton.

Referee: Greg Aitken

Reporter: Pearse McLaughlin

QPTV - Highlights & Post-match Interviews

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy