Queen’s Park 2 Gartcairn 0

Goals by Hannah Cunningham and Ami Roberson today against Gartcairn at The city stadium means that Queen's are now in touching distance of the ScottishPower League title and promotion to SWPL1

Queen’s Park made a long-awaited return to The city Stadium after a four-year absence, facing off against Gartcairn to kick off the fourth round of fixtures in the Scottish Power WPL-2. The Spiders secured victories in their first two encounters, winning 5-1 on the opening day and 4-0 in October. However, Gartcairn turned the tables in their previous clash at MTC Park, running out 3-2 winners at the start of the new year.

Craig Joyce made five changes to the starting line-up which faced Boroughmuir Thistle two weeks ago. Rachael O’Neill, Taylor Davis, Monica Harty, Abby Callaghan, and Ami Robertson reclaimed their spots in the starting XI, replacing Rachel Ross, Olivia King, Nicole Cairney, Megan Quigley, and Rachael McConnachie, respectively.

The game kicked off with both teams evenly matched, each enjoying their fair share of possession and advancing up the park in the opening 10 minutes. Gartcairn’s Erin Burns attempted a long-range shot, which was comfortably held by Lauren McGregor. Meanwhile, Ellie Kane took a shot from inside the box, but it drifted wide of the target. Abby Callaghan also took a shot from just outside the box, but Jasmine McPhie held onto it well.

Abby Callaghan in action

The following 20 minutes unfolded similarly, with neither team creating any significant chances. Queen’s Park seemed to have the upper hand, maintaining possession for the most part. However, the final ball just wasn’t falling in their favour to capitalise on their control of the game.

In the 32nd minute, The Spiders looked to have a golden opportunity to open the scoring when Taylor Davis launched a long pass forward. Despite an interception by Gartcairn, Ellie Kane swiftly regained possession and surged towards goal. Kane cleverly opened up her body and looked to slot the ball into the bottom corner, but Jasmine McPhie made a brilliant save deny the Queen’s Park skipper, keeping the score level.

Taylor Davis took her chance to test the goalkeeper in the 38th minute, receiving the ball back during a Queen’s Park attack. With an audacious effort from at least 40 yards out, Davis’ effort looked to dip just under the crossbar. However, McPhie made a fine save, tipping the shot over the bar.

Gartcairn keeper Jasmine McPhee saves Taylor Davis' shot
From the resulting corner, The Spiders finally found their breakthrough. Ellie Kane delivered an excellent ball into the box, which was punched away by McPhie. However, Monica Harty, positioned at the edge of the box, kept the play alive with a header back into the danger zone. The ball fell to Hannah Cunningham who executed a spectacular overhead kick, sending the ball off the underside of the crossbar and into the net.
Queen's players celebrate Hannah Cunningham's spectacular opening goal

Gartcairn then looked to respond instantly as they worked their way up the park from kick off. Kaela McDonald-Nguah delivered an inviting cross into the box, where Megan Wands found herself unmarked at the corner of the 6-yard box. After a neat touch on her thigh, Wands struck the ball on the volley, but her effort narrowly sailed over the crossbar.

Half-Time: Queen’s Park 1-0 Gartcairn

The second half kicked off much like the first, with Queen’s Park controlling the game and maintaining possession. While Gartcairn applied some early pressure, with attempts from Newbigging and McGonigle, none managed to trouble McGregor guarding the Spiders’ goal.

In the 57th minute, Queen’s Park sought to extend their lead when Taylor Davis sent the ball long for Ami Robertson to pursue. Robertson gained control, accelerating towards the goal, leaving herself one-on-one with the goalkeeper. Despite manoeuvring past McPhie, Robertson unfortunately lost her footing, resulting in the ball rolling out for a goal kick.

In the 64th minute, The Spiders struck once more. Olivia King regained possession at the back before playing a quick one-two with Megan Quigley to advance up the line. King then played a great pass forward to Ellie Kane, who surged toward the goal before neatly squaring it to Ami Robertson. Robertson calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner, doubling Queen’s Park’s lead.

Queen's players congratulate Ami on scoring the second goal

Queen’s Park maintained their grip on the game, persistently pressing forward and keeping the pressure on the Gartcairn defence until the final whistle. Ellie Kane and Emma Craig had their attempts at goal, but Jasmine McPhie stood firm, preventing any further goals, and keeping the deficit at two.

Full-Time: Queen’s Park 2-0 Gartcairn

Queen’s Park: Lauren McGregor Taylor Davis (Robin Gallagher, 69’), Ciara Bonner, Rachael O’Neill, Darcy Molley (Olivia King, 46’), Emma Craig, Monica Harty, Abby Callaghan (Megan Quigley, 61’), Ellie Kane, Ami Robertson (Rachael McConncachie, 88’).
Subs not used: Lucy Inman, Rachel Ross, Elise Macara.

Gartcairn: Jasmin McPhie, Madilyn Wilson, Eva Gray, Samantha Davies (Lauren Simpson, 81’), Tara McGonigle, Rachel Howie (Hannah Findlay, 61’), Morgan Hay, Megan Wands, Erin Burns, Fern Newbigging (Natalie McClounan, 61’), Kaela McDonald-Nguah,
Subs not used: Chloe Gibney, Millie Brown.

Starting Eleven

Post match Interviews

Hannah Cunninghan's spectacular opening goal

Ami Roberston makes it 2-0


This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy