Queen’s Park 2 Greenock Morton 2

Queen’s Park had to settle for a point after a 2-2 draw with visitors Morton after first half goals from Tommy Robson and Marcel Oakley were cancelled out after the break by a double from George Oakley.

The Spiders brought Euan Henderson into their starting line-up for the first time in the Championship with Aaron Healy dropping out following his goalscoring performance at Hamilton Academical last weekend due to illness.

That was the only change against the Greenock men who missed former Queen’s Park striker Jai Quitongo through injury with ex-Queen’s man Grant Gillespie on the bench.

After a minute’s applause for Morton legend Allan McGraw who passed away this week Queen’s started brightly with some crisp and sharp passing moves on display.

On three minutes such a move created a shooting chance for Robson at the edge of the Morton box. The skipper’s right foot drive was headed high into the air with visiting goalkeeper Brian Schwake getting the ball under control at the second attempt under pressure from Jack Thomson.

Two minutes later Morton created danger when Ali Crawford was slipped through on goal with Callum Ferrie doing well as he dashed from his goal to save with his legs.

On eight minutes it was the hosts’ turn to go close with a Charlie Fox header from a Dom Thomas corner looping in under the bar until Liam Grimshaw nodded clear.

It was Morton’s turn to come close again on 12 minutes when Ferrie kicked a clearance off the inrushing Oakley and then watching on in agony as the ball dropped wide.

Henderson, Ali Crawford and then Connor Shields traded shots as both sides looked for an opening goal in the first quarter of an hour.

Thomson and Shields combined well on the right with 18 minutes played however there was no-one on hand to turn in Thomson’s low driven cross.

A minute later ROBSON was on hand to open the scoring from 16 yards when he picked up a pass from Henderson and switched the ball onto his trusted left foot and drilled into the far corner much to the delight of his watching parents!

Morton were stung by the loss of the goal and claimed loudly for a penalty when Ali Crawford crashed to the ground with Malachi Boateng in close attendance.

Grant Savoury was set free by a subtle pass from Dom Thomas on 22 minutes and the attacker looked to find the far corner however Schwake produced a fine diving stop.

A second goal did arrive for Queen’s on 30 minutes from an unexpected source with MARCEL OAKLEY popping up 14 yards out to slot home after a Shields cross had only been partially intercepted by Jack Baird with Schwake waiting to collect.

Savoury did well to tee up Thomson five minutes later however Schwake was well placed to save his drive.

Just before the break Shields had an opportunity to push Owen Coyle’s side even further in-front when he wriggled free 35 yards out however Schwake stood tall and clutched his chipped effort.

Two minutes into the restart Oakley fouled Stephen Eze and when the ball as played upfield Savoury sent a fierce drive wide and on 52 minutes Shields had a 20-yard effort deflected wide.

On 54 minutes Gillespie was introduced for Calvin Miller and the midfielder was quickly involved as he took the ball off Henderson’s toes just as he was away to shoot from 18 yards out.

Morton got back into the game on 57 minutes when Robbie Muirhead was allowed to pick up a pass on the left and his back post cross was perfect for Oakley to side-foot home from four yards out.

With an hour gone Shields picked up a yellow card as he gathered a Baird headed pass-back that fell short and then went down just as he was away to shoot with referee Roncone unimpressed.

Trickery from Savoury turned defence into attack on 67 minutes as he side-stepped his way out of trouble and found Shields who raced up the park to earn a corner.

Thomas’ corner was turned round for another flag-kick that Eze rose and headed home however an assistants flag cut short the celebrations with many in the ground perplexed by the decision.

It was 2-2 with nine minutes to go when Oakley ghosted in to meet a Robbie Crawford cross and glanced a header home.

Thomas looked to get the Spiders winning again with a strong run and shot however Schwake got down low to push away his 20 yard drive with Queen’s having to settle for a point.

Queen’s Park: Calum Ferrie, Marcel Oakley, Stephen Eze, Charlie Fox, Tommy Robson, Jack Thomson (Jake Davidson 79’), Malachi Boateng, Dom Thomas, Grant Savoury, Euan Henderson (Josh McPake 79’), Connor Shields.

Subs not used: Jacques Heraghty (G/k), Cameron Bruce, Calum Biggar, Scott Williamson, Patrick Jarrett, Lewis Reid, Lennon Connolly.

Morton: Brian Schwake, Jack Baird, Calum Waters, Cameron Blues, Robbie Muirhead, Calvin Miller (Grant Gillespie 54’), Efe Ambrose, Robbie Crawford, George Oakley, Liam Grimshaw, Ali Crawford (Lewis McGrattan 79’)

Subs not used: Lawton Green (G/k), Carlo Pignatiello, Ally Roy, , Michael Garrity, , Alexander King.

Referee: Mike Roncone

Starting Eleven

Post Match Interviews


This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy