Queen’s Park 2 Partick Thistle 1

A late winner by Alex Fairlie, against Partick Thistle, ensured Young Queen’s pick up all three points in their opening Glasgow Cup fixture of the season this afternoon at Lochinch.

Queen’s started their Glasgow Cup campaign in a very positive fashion in the opening minute when Thistle keeper McCready had to look lively to push an Alex Fairlie shot, from the edge of the box, away for a corner.

McCready saves for Thistle

Thistle struck in the third minute when a clearance header was intercepted and the ball was played through to Weston who lifted the ball over the advancing Jacques Heraghty into the empty net.

Thistle's Weston celebrates scoring the opening goal

Seven minutes later Queen’s were back on level terms. After some good combination play, Liam McQuaid played a ball over the Thistle defence for Alex Fairlie to run onto. Alex got to the bye-line and cut the ball back to the edge of the box for Lennon Connolly to knock the ball past the keeper from 14 yards out.

Lennon Connolly equalises

In the 19th minute Gregor Nicol won the ball just outside the Thistle box.  He played the ball to Lennon Connolly who moved the ball to Alex Fairlie.  Alex hit the ball first time, but the Thistle keeper pulled off a fine save to push the ball away.  Gregor Nicol reacted fast and nearly reached the loose ball, but the danger was cleared before he could get to it.

Thistle's Lennon clears the danger before Gregor Nicol and get to the ball

Half-time: Queen’s Park 1 Partick Thistle 1

Queen’s put Thistle under pressure in the opening 10 minutes of the second half, getting a couple of corners. But really not creating anything.

Cammy Bruce down the left and Max Gillies and Timam Scott down the right were getting behind the Thistle defenders and crossing the ball into the six yard box . But there were no takers.

Cammy Bruce races past a Thistle defender

Queen’s made their first substitution of the game replacing Nicol with Brady in the 60th minute.

The game was, by now, bogged down into a midfield battle. After surviving an initial Queen’s period of attack Thistle started to dominate the ball. However without really threatening the Queen’s goal.

Just when the game had draw written all over it, in the 81st minute Alex Fairlie latched into a through ball by Calum Biggar and hit a low shot into the net to make the score 2-1 to the young Spiders.

Alex Fairlie scores the winner

Full-time: Queen’s Park 2 Partick Thistle 1

Queen’s Park: Heraghty, Gillies, Bruce, Biggar, Fairlie, Graham, Nicol (Brady 60′), McQuaid (McLeish), Reid, Connolly (Thomson), Scott.

Subs: Mauchin,  Lind, McKenna.

Patrick Thistle: McCready, Lennon, Mackie, Akinola, Lyon, Weston, Stevenson, Diack, Fitzpatrick, Henderson

Subs: Wilson, Bell, Taggart, Queen, Ocholi.

Queen's Goals

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy