Queen’s Park 3 Peterhead 2

Queen’s Park needed to secure the win today to remain top of the cinch League 1 table - thankfully after a rollercoaster of a match, they did exactly that.

The Spiders would make two changes from the Clyde game with Kilday coming in for Max Gillies & Connor Smith making his first start for the club, replacing Louis Longridge. The changes meant Doyle would move back to his more natural position as an attacking fullback. Peterhead would make one change with Andrew McDonald getting replaced by Jason Brown.

Queen’s Park seemed to be experts in getting a draw out of games, today we would see that change. Our visitors would come into today’s game in indifferent form losing 4 of their last 5 games.

The Spiders would continue with the diamond formation that Ellis debuted last weekend at Clyde. The visitors would go with a 4-1-3-2 with well-known Simon Ferry in the holding position.

The game had a lively start with Gillespie taking a shot from the edge of the box & Brett Long needs to make a great save to keep the game goalless. In the resulting corner, Murray would go close with a header.

Peterhead keeper Long denies Grant Gillespie

The onslaught would continue & a lovely backheel from Murray would set Doyle free but Long was there again to make a save. A pattern that would follow throughout the first half.

Michael Doyle breaks into the Peterhead box

The great early play by the spiders would result in the opening goal in the fifth minute and it would be Murray and the other full-back – Tommy Robson – this time. Robson bombs down the wing like a man who just stole money from the bank, a nice 1-2 with Murray later and he’s free on goal and he tucks it away nicely. 1-0 to the Spiders! 

Tommy Robson opens the scoring

Peterhead would go close on the 13th minute with a Hamish Ritchie shot but it was easily over the bar.

Liam Brown is the kind of player that you pay your admission to the game for, and he proved that again on the 17th minute with a dazzling dribble into the box, but his shot hits the post, sadly the whole ground thought it was in!

Liam Brown reacts to seeing his shot come back off the post

Simon Murray’s link-up play had been excellent to start the game and again he set another player off on goal – this time Smith – but his shot was deflected. Queen’s were looking good to add to their lead at this stage.

On the 30th minute, QP just couldn’t clear the ball away with Peterhead winning the ball near their goal. A few neat passes later and Peterhead would come close with a deflected shot wide.

Just before the half, a wayward pass from Doyle landed at Smith’s feet and after good link-up play with McHugh, it would lead to a free Simon Murray in the box, sadly a timely block by Jason Brown kept the game at 1 – 0.

Murray came close again as a mix up between two Peterhead defenders meant he was clear on goal, he rounded the keeper, but he couldn’t get his shot past Ferry as it’s blocked on the goal line. 

Simon Murray's shot on goal is blocked

HT Queen’s Park 1 – 0 Peterhead.

1-0 is always a dangerous score in football and this proved the case on the 50th minute when a pass/shot by Scott Brown lands at Hamish Ritchie’s feet and his shot trickles past Muir to bring the game all square once again.

Peterhead draw level

A disastrous start to the second half continued as after a mazy run by full-back Mulligan into the box and a pass to Lyle, the experienced striker was able to slot it away for Peterhead. 

Peterhead's Lyle shoots his team into the lead

Queen’s Park pushed for the equaliser but our free-flowing play from the first half just wasn’t there as we hurtled towards the 60th-minute mark.

On the 64th minute, Ellis would look for a spark as he brought on loanee Luca Connell for Grant Gillespie. This would prove to be pivotal as we seemed to find our groove once again with the introduction of the Irishmen.

Connor Smith’s afternoon would come to an end on the 74th minute as he was replaced by fellow loanee Luis Longstaff. Connor Smith was very direct in his play this afternoon and I’m sure the fans were appreciative of his efforts.

The Spiders would finally get back into the game on the 75th minute with Luca Connell proving why everyone was so excited about his return last week. Doyle runs down the wing and crosses for McHugh, it bounces off him, lands to Connell at the edge of the box and slots it away to make it 2-2.

Luca Connell scores to level the game

The Queen’s would be back on top with a goal from another loanee. (What about that loan market eh?)

Thomson would drive forward and a great 1-2 with Bob McHugh would set him off clear and the young midfielder showed great composure to slot it away and make the game 3-2

Jack Thomson turns to celebrate scoring the winner

QP would keep the pressure on Peterhead as the game started to near its end, there was no time-wasting with the Spiders, no running it into the corner, we wanted more goals.

Heartbreak nearly came in the 90th minute as a freekick from Peterhead landed at Derek Lyle’s feet but his shot, thankfully, hit the post. Queen’s Park would leave Firhill with the three points.

FT Queen’s Park 3-2 Peterhead

A great win for Queen’s Park today after a back and forth second half. Results around the league would go our way and we would finish the weekend by extending our lead at the top to 2 points.

Allez Les Hoops

Queen’s Park: Muir, Doyle, Kilday, Robson, Thomson, Gillespie (Connell 64’), Smith (Longstaff 74’), Brown, Mchugh, Murray (Moore 86’) Subs not used: Ferrie, Gillies, Yeats, Connel, Lyon

Peterhead: Long, Mulligan, Conroy, McCarthy (Wilson 45’), Jason Brown, Ferry, Ritchie(Cameron 77’), Scott Brown, Mclean (Lyle 45’), Payne, Duffy Subs not used: Wilson, McDonald, Strachan, Mushanhu

Today’s Attendance: 546

Referee: Chris Fordyce

Reporter: Nathan Ferguson

QPTV - Highlights & post match interviews

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy