Queen’s Park 5 Clyde 0

Queen's powered their way past Clyde last night in a five goal thriller to reach the final of the Glasgow Cup

Queen’s progressed to the semi-final of this season’s Glasgow Cup as runners-up in the Group stage, beating Partick Thistle and Clyde; drawing with Celtic and losing to Rangers in the process.

Clyde finished fourth in the group stage, beating Partick Thistle, drawing with Celtic and losing to Queen’s Park and Rangers.

Clyde started the game strongly, moving the ball well across the big Broadwood pitch, keeping Queen’s back in their own half.

In the seventh minute Queen’s opened up the Clyde defence with a through ball to Jai Quitongo. Jai sped past a defender, before unleashing a shot which narrowly missed the target.

In the 15th minute Queen’s took the lead. An excellent build up from deep in midfield saw the ball switched left to right to Jai Quitongo. Jai, raced past the Clyde full back and cut back a superb ball for Conor McBride to slot home from 12 yards out.

Connor McBride's shot hits the net - 1-0 to Queen's

Two minutes later Queen’s nearly doubled their lead. Scott Williamson latched on to a cross and hit a cracking shot goalward only to be denied by a great save by Parry.

In the 34th minute Scott Williamson made the score 2-0. Scott won the ball 20 yards out, beat two defenders, then slammed the ball past Neil Parry from 11 yards out.

Scott Williamson makes the score 2-0 to Queen's
Two minutes from half time Jacques Heraghty pulled off a fine save after a Clyde attack down their right.
Jacques Heraghty saves

Half-time: Queen’s Park 2 Clyde 0

Five minutes into the second half, Queen’s added a third. After great build up play down the left by Connor McBride, the ball was switched to the right to Jai Quitongo. Jai dribbled his way into the Clyde box and cut the ball back for Scott Williamson to score his second and Queen’s third of the night.

Scott Williamson adds Queen's third goal of the night

Two minutes later Scott Williamson was replaced by 18s striker Lucas McCormick.

Queen’s with their three goal advantage were by now totally dominant, creating chance after chance and only being stopped by good goalkeeping by Neil Parry in goal for Clyde.

In the 83rd minute Queen’s made a triple substitution replacing Jai Quitongo, Connor McBride and Alex Bannon with Gregor Nicol, Zach Mauchin and Alex Fairlie.

Seven minutes later Queen’s made it 4-0. After a superb through ball by trialist to Gregor Nicol, Gregor finished by slipping the ball passed the advancing Parry into the net from 14 yards out.

Gregor Nicol makes the score 4-0

One minute from time Alex Fairlie scores Queen’s fifth goal of the night.

Alex Fairlie adds a fifth

Queen’s will now play Rangers in the final of the Glasgow Cup at Broadwood at a date to be arranged.

Queen’s Park: Jacques Heraghty, Jake Davidson, Jai Quitongo, Max Gillies, Calum Biggar, Alex Bannon, Connor McBride, Scott Williamson, Cammy Bruce, Archie Graham, Trialist. Subs: Liam Russell, Alex Fairlie, Lucas McCormick, Andrew Lind, Gregor Nicol, Lewis Reid, Zach Mauchin.

Clyde: Neil Parry, Billy Mortimer, Scott Rumsby, Matthew Elsdon, Aidan Cassidy, Barry Cuddihy, Paul Kennedy, Owen Andrew, Monday Samuel, Trialist, Rob Jones. Subs: Maley, Trialist, Jamieson, Nicoll, Love, Gomis, Livingstone

QPTV - Pitch-side Highlights

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy