Rangers 3 Queen’s Park 1

Queen's travelled to Broadwood to face Rangers in the final of the City of Glasgow Cup. Both sides qualified for the final after finishing first and second in the league section and beating Clyde and Celtic in their respective semi-finals.

Coach John Potter made 5 changes from the starting eleven who beat Clyde 5-0 in the semi-final in April. Davidson, Quitongo, Bannon, McBride and Graham replaced by Kilday, Morrison, Moore, Gillespie and Darcy.

Rangers started the game very strongly. Inside the first minute they won a free kick just outside the Queen’s box. The resultant shot sailed over the bar.

Two minutes later Rangers opened the scoring. After another attack down the left, the ball was crossed into the Queen’s box for Rangers’ McKinnon to fire the ball into the top right corner of the net from 8 yards out.

Rangers open the scoring

Queen’s bounced back. A minute later they had the ball in the Rangers net when Lewis Moore squared the ball to Scott Williamson to slot home, only to be flagged for offside.

After ten minutes of frantic football, the game settled down with both teams moving the ball around the big Broadwood pitch looking for openings for attack.

In the 22nd minute Queen’s equalised. Scott Williamson chased a long lost ball down the right wing, got to it and cut it back for trialist to slot the ball into the corner of the net from 12 yards out.

Trialist slots the ball into the net to make the score 1-0.

In the 40th minute Scott Williamson had his second ‘goal’ ruled out for offside. He was first to respond to a ball played into the Rangers box after the ball was initially cleared then returned.

Half-time: Rangers 1 Queen’s Park 0

Rangers certainly started the second half with pace. Within a minute they had a shot cleared off the Queen’s line.

As in the first half , Queen’s responded and Trialist intercepted a Rangers pass, beat a defender and had a shot on goal.

After the initial surge the game settled down and both sides content to play the ball around and wait until a gap appeared.

In the 59th minute Jacques Heraghty pulled off a great save from a Miller shot.

In the 69th minute Rangers took the lead when Ure slotted home after a goalmouth scramble.

Rangers take the lead again

Rangers added a third in the 76th minute when they were awarded a penalty when Jacques Heraghty collided with a Rangers forward after attempting to get to a passback.

The closest Queen’s got to pulling one back was when Ronan Darcy hit the bar with a shot from 30 yards out in the 85th minute.

Full-time: Rangers 3 Queen’s Park 1

Rangers: Budinauckas, Devine (Harkness, 86), Fraser, Yfeko, McClelland, Miller, Ritchie-Hosler, (McInally, 86) McKinnon, Weston (Ure, 62), McCann (Lindsay, 86), McCausland (Lyall, 71). Subs not used: Hogarth, Allan.

Queen’s Park: Heraghty, Kilday (Graham, 67), Morrison, Ruiz-Diaz (Trialist), Moore (Fairlie, 70), Gillies, Biggar, Gillespie (Bannon, 70), Williamson, Bruce, Darcy. Subs not used: Russell, Mauchin, Nicol, McCormick.

Queen's Park's starting 11

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Privacy policy